THE JOURNEY - EKO Corper

Some processes may seem tough, but I implore you to make the most out of it while you can. Join me as I take you through memory lane of how I enjoyed my NYSC days as a Lagos Corp member. 

Time is surely a mystery. I remember how it all started with the anxiousness to get out of school, on tenterhooks to be posted after the NYSC registration. Haba!, The patience was almost running out, but I certainly couldn't do anything. It was a case of seeking a miracle, hoping to get posted to places I wasn’t given the opportunity to select during my registration. Anxiety made me travel several states in my mind just to be protected from feeling disappointed when I finally get my posting letter. Finally, the long-anticipated wait was truncated as it was time to call at any cyber cafe of choice to print the Call-up letter. I almost lost my cool upon this realization. I finally summoned the courage to print and Eureka! I got a Lagos. Yeah!, Lasgidi aka Eko, lol. I had a mixed feeling of both excitement and so many thoughts beclouding my mind. There was sincerely no reason I indicated Lagos as an option except for the fact that I needed to extend my experience down southwest and just thought of Lagos. At this point, I believed in the myth (well not entirely) that NYSC corp members were given privileges of accommodation. It was refreshing to learn about such possibilities.

I didn't have to get into Lagos to resume prior to the set date, I just kept my cool. It took me long tedious hours by bus to get to Lagos and of course my camp. You could imagine the hullabaloo with other colleagues trying to get to their camp as well and the excitement of exploring another opportunity. It was the first and most anticipated experience for all present in Iyana paja (15B) stream 1. It was the warmest experience ever. I hadn't saved enough money for camp and distractions but all I had was enough. I was glued to God's word which is never failing, and I took advantage of every activity during camp. We had stayed, had pleasant moments during lectures, and inter-platoon challenges and more with friends and acquaintances from within and outside the country. But as we drew close to wrapping up with camp, the tension grew. The tension and skepticism of being posted just anywhere became everyone's worry. It had a familiar trace on almost every Corp member. 

It was time to receive our posting letters to our various places of primary assignments. It had its shades of good, bad and ugly for all. Some, on receiving their letters couldn't help but express their joy and excitement by shouting, singing melodious songs, jumping and making several immediate calls to joyfully inform families and friends back home. And others weren't left out as they almost tore their papers in anguish, disappointment, and dissatisfaction, as they hurriedly rushed out of the scene. Feeling so indifferent about all the activities as papers were disseminated, I remembered during one of the lectures that you could redeploy if you so please on some legit grounds.  I just wanted to see the end of it all, so I persisted.

I got a place to stay while serving my nation in Lagos. My case was interestingly different as I had to resume from Island to the mainland every single working day. I need not add that the free accommodation was silent although some were lucky to have such provision. I didn't get the full picture of what I had gotten myself into until I had to spend about 10hours on the average due to the peculiar traffic situation in Lagos to and from work. Most times I slept on the bus forgetting I was heading to work, and at work; my most active moments and morale are sapped. I would already be exhausted to do any kind of serious work until another season which became a routine.

Shortly after I got settled in Lagos, I began a new season that started with wonderful and exciting experiences. I was introduced to new families, friends, and neighbours. I didn't give up; I thought to myself that if I had to be here in Lagos, I had to make the best of my stay. I was born to prove how blessed I am and how much of a blessing, I need to be to others. Experiences are a way of life not to deter us but to build, root and groom us into becoming the best and nothing less. I couldn’t afford a phoney life but to strive to be my best version…

I had worked with several people still working with people, and I have realized that purposeful relationships are most rewarding. I understood earlier the significance of keeping a complementary relationship. My CDS (Community Development Service) and work experiences were fun simply because they were purpose-driven. In Unity these handsome, intelligent, pretty and knowledgeable ladies and gents came together to work and achieve the purpose for which they were teamed. Unity is conspicuous when people take positive advantage of their differences in gender, complexion, language, origin and abilities to achieve a common goal. If you find yourself agitating over trivial issues such as gender inequality as in giving the girl child the right education and privileges deserving of her, take time to realize that you just read a story of a girl who is still growing to becoming a Woman of courage and much confidence to write this piece believing so much in herself and what she is yet to accomplish. I represent my family as much as I represent all who are bold to stand up for what they believe.

We collectively impacted our local government through our projects and I am particularly grateful to have met these amazing personalities during my NYSC.

 #NYSC #Supportingthegirlchild #supporting the right to education.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE BIRTH; God's Immeasurable, Incomparable and Perfect Love for Humankind

It’s Right in that same MESS …Yes! Your MESSAGE!

Acknowledging the FOUNDATION: Its February 2018

Becoming The Good-Half

DORCAS... (The Character of Hope for Every Girl Child and Children World-Over).

MY SUBMISSION: MY VISION and HIS MISSION...